K2's Introduction to Excel Macros
(1/2 Day – 4 CPE Hour Course)
You have used Excel for years and Lotus prior to that. During this time, you have said repeatedly, “One day, I’ll learn how to write macros.” Well, that time has arrived because this four-hour program will introduce you to the wide world of macros and Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) in Excel.
Designed for those with little, if any, experience working with macros, this course will teach the fundamentals of creating and working with macros in Excel. More specifically, you will learn how to use Excel’s Macro Recorder to write simple, yet effective, macros; how to secure and share macros with other Excel users; how to create user-defined functions to solve specific accountant-centric problems in Excel; and how to create macros that run automatically when a user opens a workbook. You will also learn the basics of VBA, including many necessary elements to write macros that can make you and your team more effective and productive with Excel. Don’t miss this unique opportunity to learn how to begin working with macros – one of Excel’s most powerful tools.
Upon completing this course, you should be able to:
- Create a macro in Excel using the Macro Recorder tool
- Manage the fundamental elements of macros in Excel, including accessing macro functionality, naming macros, shortcut keys, storing and deleting macros, absolute vs. relative cell references in macros, and macro security
- Identify the usefulness of the Macro Recorder and list four key limitations of the Macro Recorder; additionally, modify Excel’s Quick Access Toolbar and the Ribbon to provide shortcuts to macros
- List the nine key elements of macros written using Visual Basic for Applications and utilize the Visual Basic Editor; manage macros through copy/paste and delete processes
- Create variables in macros and identify the purpose of branching and conditional logic routines such as IF/THEN/ELSE, DO/WHILE, and CASE
- CPE Credit: Recommended for 4 hours Computer Software and Applications
- Prerequisites: None
- Program level: Basic
- Advanced preparation: None
- Who should participate: Business professionals seeking to extend Excel’s functionality with simple, yet highly-effective, macros. The program focuses on Excel for Windows.